Sunday, January 30, 2011

New Years Resolution v. 2.0

Well it is January 30th, and I am revising my resolutions. Before you starting thinking me a quitter, let me give a few reasons for the changes, and then I'll let you call me a quitter, or maybe you will see my side of things. Resolutions, you see, can be tricky things to set for yourself. Some people love them, some people avoid them altogether. I have learned to embrace the resolution, but I have had pretty much the same resolutions every year. Be a better person, be more thoughtful of others, find ways to give a little throughout the year, lose weight (ha!). These worked for a while, but this year has been different. I realize that for me, at that time, those reminders were necessary, not that I was a bad guy, I just wanted to be more mindful of others and more appreciative of what I have. Now that I have worked on these for a few years, they are a bigger part of who I am than in the past, and now, its time to move forward. I still plan on doing all of those things I listed above, I believe they are still relevant, its just time to take a new direction.

For this year, I have decided to put my goals into a weekly assignment. For me, as busy as my life is, asking to do something everyday is unrealistic. But to put a weekly range fits right in. I can choose when I want to do certain things, and it provides some flexibility, especially when weeks or even months get hectic. This year, my New Years Resolutions vol 2.0 are as follows:


1. Work out 4-5 times a week. This is important to me because I believe it is important to be healthy. I want to be a good example for my son to follow, and I want to look good for myself and my wife.

2. Read the Bible 5 times a week. This has always been a struggle for me. Kristin has recently inspired me to be a more knowledgeable Christian. I have always believed, and I have a strong faith in God and that he is always with us, even when sometimes we don't feel him, but I have never, ever, EVER read the Bible all the way through. Jesus talks about getting to know HIM and making our walk PERSONAL. How can I really know my faith, if I have never read the book created by my faith?

3. Practice the banjo 2-3 times a week. This is a minimum, but hopefully I can push this up to 3-4 by years end. I have been REALLY wanted to learn how to play it, but never really put forth the time or effort to do so. This will be difficult because finding extra time to learn an instrument is not easy. And it will absolutely KILL Kristin and Drew's eardrums. Sorry baby doll.

4. Straighten/organize the house 5 times a week. This goal, if I can really keep on it, will help me achieve the others, and will greatly help Kristin. I hope that if I can be diligent, and work on the house for about 30 minutes for 5 times a week, it will make big cleaning projects much easier. And, as I said, it will greatly help Kristin. She is such a hard worker, and she busts her rump (which is a nice one) to work, take care/raise our awesome son Drew, and clean the house. And I tend to really let her down in this area. I don't want to do that, and I hope this will help.

Well, there we are. I have listed my objectives, and I am ready to take them on. I have even created a code in my daily planner to help me keep track. I can now honestly say, that I am ready for 2011 to start now.

No comments:

Post a Comment